With a particular focus on Natural Language Processing (NLP), a subfield of Artificial Intelligence, InkyLab, the dedicated research and development unit of Tunisian news outlet Inkyfada, aims to create new ideas and tools to further innovation within the newsroom.
The unit has developed a range of solutions designed to help Inkyfada reach larger audiences, tailor content to platforms and user preferences, and automate time-consuming tasks for journalists, while also aiming to bridge the gap between languages in the NLP space.
“The first and most important problem that we face is the discrepancy between languages,” said Farouk Ali, Data Scientist & Head of the R&D Unit at InkyLab, during Digital Media Africa conference, adding that there are more than 4,500 English NLP models in existence compared to 161 in Arabic.
As Inkyfada is published in English, French, and Arabic, all solutions developed by InkyLab are made for these three languages.
Some of the projects the team has worked on include a recommendation system, a summary and title generator, as well as speech-to-text and text-to-speech solutions to automatically create an audio version of an article or a transcript of an audio file.
Helping newsrooms achieve gender balance
InkyLab has also been working with text mining, the process of extracting information from structured and unstructured content, which was used extensively in creating the Gender Tracker, a tool developed in partnership with WAN-IF…
Keen to read more? This content is exclusively available to our WAN-IFRA Members. If you believe your company is already a member, or you’d like to join in a personal capacity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org If you’re a media journalist please reach out to email@example.com
The post Tracking gender balance and analysing online content: Experts share AI use cases appeared first on WAN-IFRA.
- How Mediahuis used data to increase retention by 14 percent in 3 months
- 4 Lessons from 4 years as an Impact Editor – and why your newsroom needs one
- Ganadores a los Premios Digital Media Américas 2023
- Should every journalist be able to create videos? Le Parisien and NTM share contrasting video strategies
- How The Times UK aims to boost subscriptions with New Navigation
- jún 2023
- máj 2023
- apríl 2023
- marec 2023
- február 2023
- január 2023
- december 2022
- november 2022
- október 2022
- september 2022
- august 2022
- júl 2022
- jún 2022
- máj 2022
- apríl 2022
- marec 2022
- február 2022
- január 2022
- december 2021
- november 2021
- október 2021
- september 2021
- august 2021
- júl 2021
- jún 2021
- máj 2021
- How Mediahuis used data to increase retention by 14 percent in 3 months 7. júna 2023
- 4 Lessons from 4 years as an Impact Editor – and why your newsroom needs one 7. júna 2023
- Ganadores a los Premios Digital Media Américas 2023 1. júna 2023
- Should every journalist be able to create videos? Le Parisien and NTM share contrasting video strategies 1. júna 2023
- How The Times UK aims to boost subscriptions with New Navigation 1. júna 2023