By Emmy Abdul Alim
There are opportunities in Web 3.0 for the news industry to leverage for new audience engagements and revenue, said Liu, who was speaking at WAN-IFRA’s recent Asian Media Leaders Summit. “The metaverse to us is any digital world in which people can have authentically unique identities and real ownership of digital assets,” he said.
Also on the panel discussing how news organisations can participate in the metaverse were Chen May Yee of Wunderman Thompson Intelligence, and Kapil Chhabra and Olaf Kwakman from 3D visualisation company Silver Wings XR.
Understand NFT communities
With traditional news business models increasingly being disrupted by new technologies, platforms, and alternative content creators, SCMP studied blockchain and its use for four years to learn how Web 3.0 could produce and sustain revenues for publishers.
The 118-year-old newspaper also realised that its historical archives were among its most valuable assets but they remained largely hidden. The company came to understand the value of its archives and how to preserve them using blockchain, while at the same time monetising their content via NFTs.
“Some [archives] are accessible via libraries or enterprise licensing and subscription models but are almost always at the mercy of philanthropy or are sold at a price that perpetually undervalued the content,” said Liu.
He advised news companies to first become familiar with the technologies and applications to understand ho…
Keen to read more? This content is exclusively available to our WAN-IFRA Members. If you believe your company is already a member, or you’d like to join in a personal capacity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org If you’re a media journalist please reach out to email@example.com
The post New audience engagements, revenue opportunities await news industry in metaverse and NFTs appeared first on WAN-IFRA.
- Originator Profile: Cross-industry project aims for safer cyberspace
- Six Steps Towards an AI strategy for news – and other findings from Generating Change report
- How Indonesia’s Kompas is growing its digital business
- Protected: Digital Media Africa 2023 recordings
- Embrace evolution: Print augments the growth of new media
- september 2023
- august 2023
- júl 2023
- jún 2023
- máj 2023
- apríl 2023
- marec 2023
- február 2023
- január 2023
- december 2022
- november 2022
- október 2022
- september 2022
- august 2022
- júl 2022
- jún 2022
- máj 2022
- apríl 2022
- marec 2022
- február 2022
- január 2022
- december 2021
- november 2021
- október 2021
- september 2021
- august 2021
- júl 2021
- jún 2021
- máj 2021
- Originator Profile: Cross-industry project aims for safer cyberspace 28. septembra 2023
- Six Steps Towards an AI strategy for news – and other findings from Generating Change report 21. septembra 2023
- How Indonesia’s Kompas is growing its digital business 20. septembra 2023
- Protected: Digital Media Africa 2023 recordings 18. septembra 2023
- Embrace evolution: Print augments the growth of new media 18. septembra 2023