In 2020, the Swedish publisher decided to simplify its newspapers’ print layout process by investing in new technology. The company partnered with a Norwegian start-up Aptoma, and over the next year and a half worked to integrate their products into Schibsted Media Platform, the companywide CMS.
The automation features are now in use at six of the publisher’s newspapers, with impressive results. At Aftenposten, 80% of print pages are now produced using the automated workflow. At Bergens Tidende, Norway’s largest newspaper outside Oslo, the print layout design workflow is now fully automated.
Thanks to the efficiencies stemming from the new process, the same work can now be done by fewer people, said Fredric Karén, SVP Editorial (digital transformation) at Schibsted. For example, Bergens Tidende’s print desk has shrunk from eight to three people.
Karén joined WAN-IFRA’s recent virtual Newsroom Summit to present new automation features at Schibsted, and to discuss what benefits the publisher seeks from automation.
The recording of the full presentation is available below this article.
Web-based tool to streamline layout process
The new features that Schibsted integrated into their CMS have simplified the publisher’s tech stack, Karén said: instead of having separate tech for the website and paper, the same tool is used for both outputs.
Concerning print design, the web-based tool uses AI to assess the elements that are selected for a page, such as the length of…
Keen to read more? This content is exclusively available to our WAN-IFRA Members. If you believe your company is already a member, or you’d like to join in a personal capacity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org If you’re a media journalist please reach out to email@example.com
The post Schibsted: new automation tools streamline print and audio production appeared first on WAN-IFRA.
- Want new, engaged and young readers? Make them play!
- New survey finds half of newsrooms use Generative AI tools; only 20% have guidelines in place
- ‘Exploration and experimentation are key to media’s survival’ – what AI can do for your newsroom – and audience
- Journalism is the key to winning Ukraine’s war on corruption
- ¿Cómo afecta la inteligencia artificial los empleos en medios de comunicación?
- Want new, engaged and young readers? Make them play! 26. mája 2023
- New survey finds half of newsrooms use Generative AI tools; only 20% have guidelines in place 25. mája 2023
- ‘Exploration and experimentation are key to media’s survival’ – what AI can do for your newsroom – and audience 24. mája 2023
- Journalism is the key to winning Ukraine’s war on corruption 23. mája 2023
- ¿Cómo afecta la inteligencia artificial los empleos en medios de comunicación? 22. mája 2023