In 2020, the Swedish publisher decided to simplify its newspapers’ print layout process by investing in new technology. The company partnered with a Norwegian start-up Aptoma, and over the next year and a half worked to integrate their products into Schibsted Media Platform, the companywide CMS.
The automation features are now in use at six of the publisher’s newspapers, with impressive results. At Aftenposten, 80% of print pages are now produced using the automated workflow. At Bergens Tidende, Norway’s largest newspaper outside Oslo, the print layout design workflow is now fully automated.
Thanks to the efficiencies stemming from the new process, the same work can now be done by fewer people, said Fredric Karén, SVP Editorial (digital transformation) at Schibsted. For example, Bergens Tidende’s print desk has shrunk from eight to three people.
Karén joined WAN-IFRA’s recent virtual Newsroom Summit to present new automation features at Schibsted, and to discuss what benefits the publisher seeks from automation.
The recording of the full presentation is available below this article.
Web-based tool to streamline layout process
The new features that Schibsted integrated into their CMS have simplified the publisher’s tech stack, Karén said: instead of having separate tech for the website and paper, the same tool is used for both outputs.
Concerning print design, the web-based tool uses AI to assess the elements that are selected for a page, such as the length of…
Keen to read more? This content is exclusively available to our WAN-IFRA Members. If you believe your company is already a member, or you’d like to join in a personal capacity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org If you’re a media journalist please reach out to email@example.com
The post Schibsted: new automation tools streamline print and audio production appeared first on WAN-IFRA.
- Originator Profile: Cross-industry project aims for safer cyberspace
- Six Steps Towards an AI strategy for news – and other findings from Generating Change report
- How Indonesia’s Kompas is growing its digital business
- Protected: Digital Media Africa 2023 recordings
- Embrace evolution: Print augments the growth of new media
- september 2023
- august 2023
- júl 2023
- jún 2023
- máj 2023
- apríl 2023
- marec 2023
- február 2023
- január 2023
- december 2022
- november 2022
- október 2022
- september 2022
- august 2022
- júl 2022
- jún 2022
- máj 2022
- apríl 2022
- marec 2022
- február 2022
- január 2022
- december 2021
- november 2021
- október 2021
- september 2021
- august 2021
- júl 2021
- jún 2021
- máj 2021
- Originator Profile: Cross-industry project aims for safer cyberspace 28. septembra 2023
- Six Steps Towards an AI strategy for news – and other findings from Generating Change report 21. septembra 2023
- How Indonesia’s Kompas is growing its digital business 20. septembra 2023
- Protected: Digital Media Africa 2023 recordings 18. septembra 2023
- Embrace evolution: Print augments the growth of new media 18. septembra 2023