It’s sometimes easy to forget that treating the user experience as an art and science as it is practised now is a relatively recent addition in the journalism industry.
The Atlantic, an American magazine and multi-platform publisher, aims to build on human-centred journalism and how it gains and uses insights to create powerful experiences for its consumers.
The publishing company, whose majority owner is Laurene Powell Jobs, widow of Apple’s Steve Jobs, has spent two years studying non-readers, subscribers, podcast listeners, and people in other audiences of interest to identify addressable concerns.
Goligoski joined WAN-IFRA’s recent virtual Newsroom Summit to give a primer on the brand’s business and editorial strategy as it relates to user experience.
Why bother with qualitative research?
The Atlantic does so to demonstrate its value and how it stands apart from its contemporaries. The current journalism marketplace is extremely crowded with every news organisation in competition for users’ time and limited spending potential – arguably, their most precious resources.
The Atlantic newsroom is driven by a combination of editorial instinct, business acumen and reader insights, combined with data science to make informed decisions to help the brand grow.
“Being able to demonstrate how we create our work and seeking feedback throughout the design process is critical because our readers are not us. So, we need to go out and learn about them,” Goligoski sai…
Keen to read more? This content is exclusively available to our WAN-IFRA Members. If you believe your company is already a member, or you’d like to join in a personal capacity, please contact email@example.com If you’re a media journalist please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
The post Here’s how well The Atlantic understands its audience appeared first on WAN-IFRA.
- How Mediahuis used data to increase retention by 14 percent in 3 months
- 4 Lessons from 4 years as an Impact Editor – and why your newsroom needs one
- Ganadores a los Premios Digital Media Américas 2023
- Should every journalist be able to create videos? Le Parisien and NTM share contrasting video strategies
- How The Times UK aims to boost subscriptions with New Navigation
- jún 2023
- máj 2023
- apríl 2023
- marec 2023
- február 2023
- január 2023
- december 2022
- november 2022
- október 2022
- september 2022
- august 2022
- júl 2022
- jún 2022
- máj 2022
- apríl 2022
- marec 2022
- február 2022
- január 2022
- december 2021
- november 2021
- október 2021
- september 2021
- august 2021
- júl 2021
- jún 2021
- máj 2021
- How Mediahuis used data to increase retention by 14 percent in 3 months 7. júna 2023
- 4 Lessons from 4 years as an Impact Editor – and why your newsroom needs one 7. júna 2023
- Ganadores a los Premios Digital Media Américas 2023 1. júna 2023
- Should every journalist be able to create videos? Le Parisien and NTM share contrasting video strategies 1. júna 2023
- How The Times UK aims to boost subscriptions with New Navigation 1. júna 2023