During the past 15 or so years, the local news situation in the United States has been viewed by many both inside the industry and out with increasing despair.
More than 1,800 US newspapers have closed since 2004, according to Poynter. Tens of thousands of journalists have lost their jobs. Dozens of newspapers are now owned by hedge funds that focus on maximising profits.
“I decided I needed to put together the knowledge that I had from a 21-year career at Knight Ridder, and 15 years as an analyst to try to innovate something new in the face of this financial ownership,” Ken Doctor, the Founder and CEO of Lookout Local, told participants during WAN-IFRA’s recent World News Media Congress.
Replacing flagging dailies
“My goal with this, very simply, is to replace flagging dailies as quickly as possible with primary news products. Not supplemental news, but primary news products,” he continued.
“This” is Lookout Local, a digital news company based in Santa Cruz, California, now just over a year old, and according to Doctor, on track for profitability in early 2023.
Lookout has a team of 14 people, which makes it the largest news company in Santa Cruz county, he said.
“Our base is very, very strong at this point,” he added. “We’ve got 95,000+ monthly uniques. We have a diversified revenue model – advertising and circulation.”
“Advertising is huge for us, and it’s all branded content. It works very well,” he added.
As for circulation, Doctor said he delibera…
Keen to read more? This content is exclusively available to our WAN-IFRA Members. If you believe your company is already a member, or you’d like to join in a personal capacity, please contact email@example.com If you’re a media journalist please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
The post Ken Doctor’s Lookout Local proving out its model and planning a network appeared first on WAN-IFRA.
- Originator Profile: Cross-industry project aims for safer cyberspace
- Six Steps Towards an AI strategy for news – and other findings from Generating Change report
- How Indonesia’s Kompas is growing its digital business
- Protected: Digital Media Africa 2023 recordings
- Embrace evolution: Print augments the growth of new media
- september 2023
- august 2023
- júl 2023
- jún 2023
- máj 2023
- apríl 2023
- marec 2023
- február 2023
- január 2023
- december 2022
- november 2022
- október 2022
- september 2022
- august 2022
- júl 2022
- jún 2022
- máj 2022
- apríl 2022
- marec 2022
- február 2022
- január 2022
- december 2021
- november 2021
- október 2021
- september 2021
- august 2021
- júl 2021
- jún 2021
- máj 2021
- Originator Profile: Cross-industry project aims for safer cyberspace 28. septembra 2023
- Six Steps Towards an AI strategy for news – and other findings from Generating Change report 21. septembra 2023
- How Indonesia’s Kompas is growing its digital business 20. septembra 2023
- Protected: Digital Media Africa 2023 recordings 18. septembra 2023
- Embrace evolution: Print augments the growth of new media 18. septembra 2023